Payor Outside BC

If the payor lives outside BC we can enrol the support order or agreement in an equivalent program where the payor lives. Enrolment in another maintenance program can take up to two to four months. Once enrolled, that program is responsible for collecting the support payments and taking steps to to collect it.

If collection action is necessary, the other program will take steps based on their laws and policies. We can’t tell them what collection action to take or when to take it.

It can take a number of months before any money is received and there are no guarantees support will be collected. BCFMA continuously works with the other maintenance program to do everything possible to collect the support.

We continue to monitor the support payments here in BC and do what we can to help the other program get the information they need.

Other Maintenance Programs

All Canadian provinces and territories, the United States and several other countries have programs similar to BCFMA. Find a program in another jurisdiction

Collection Action in BC

We can also issue collection action if the payor has any assets or sources of income in BC.

Find Out More