Children Over 19

Collecting child support for children over the age of majority

BCFMA generally collects child support at least until the age of majority. However, we may continue to collect support after that age based on the child’s circumstances. The age of majority in BC is 19, but the applicable age of majority may be different if the order or agreement was made outside the province.

We may continue to collect child support after a child reaches the age of majority if the child:

  • Attends school
  • Plans to return to school
  • Continues to live at home
  • Has a medical condition or disability
  • Is unable to become self-supporting

BCFMA’s age of majority case review process

Shortly before a child reaches the age of majority, we will:

  1. Send a form to the recipient asking for information about the child’s circumstances
  2. Review the information received and determine if we will continue to collect support
  3. Advise both parties if BCFMA will continue to collect ongoing child support

If we collect ongoing support beyond the age of majority, we will request updates on the child’s circumstances from the recipient at regular intervals.

Who determines when child support ends?

Once an order or court-filed separation agreement is enrolled with BCFMA, we are responsible under the Family Maintenance Enforcement Act for monitoring and collecting the support due in that document. This means that by law, we must take steps to see that child support payments are made.

If a child support end date is not specified in an order or agreement, we must determine when to stop collecting child support. Some of the reasons for support to continue are listed above, but there can be exceptions.

Review age of majority

If we determine that child support should or should not continue past the child’s age of majority, and one parent does not agree, the following steps are available:

  1. Submit new or additional information to us about the child’s circumstances that is different from the information we have received
  2. We will review the new information and give the other parent a chance to respond
  3. Advise both parties if BCFMA will continue to collect ongoing child support
  4. If one parent still disagrees, or cannot provide us with new information, they can apply to the court for a judge to review

Disagree with a decision made by BCFMA?

Either parent can seek legal advice or consider changing the support order or agreement. Find out more about changing an order.